The defendants in the MDL are Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Merch & Co, Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Janssen Research & Development LLC, McKesson Corporation, Schering Corporations, and Bayer Corporation, who allegedly developed, manufacture, or market fluoroquinolone antibiotics.
The defendants deny that the antibiotics are defective or unreasonably dangerous. Also, the defendants deny that they failed to give adequate warnings.
Because these cases all involve similar factual issues, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation decided to centralize the cases for purposes of efficiency. The purpose of MDL is to provide consistent results and to save time and money for the court systems around the country, the plaintiffs, and the defendants. Any individual cases that do not get resolved through the MDL process will go back to their original courts.
If you think that you suffered a harmful side effect from taking the antibiotic Levaquin to treat an infection, a Levaquin lawsuit lawyer can help you go after money damages for your losses. Call Newsome | Melton today at (855) 633-2757 to set up a free consultation.
Previous Levaquin MDL
There was a previous MDL that involved Levaquin. This MDL began in 2008. Called the “Levaquin Tendon Rupture” cases, there were over 3,000 individual lawsuits in the MDL as of July 13, 2011. The judge who is running the fluoroquinolone neuropathy MDL also handled this previous Levaquin MDL.
After several bellwether trials, defendants Johnson & Johnson, Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical, Inc., and Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development, LLC entered into settlements with the plaintiffs. After completing the settlements, the Levaquin Tendon Rupture MDL closed on October 5, 2017.
The plaintiffs alleged in the lawsuits that Levaquin caused tendons to rupture, and that the defendants did not give adequate warnings about the risk of this side effect of the antibiotic. The defendants denied that Levaquin was defective or unreasonably dangerous. Also, the defendants denied the claims of insufficient warnings.
Adverse Reactions to Levaquin
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued multiple warnings about dangerous side effects from taking fluoroquinolone antibiotics, including Levaquin.
The FDA says that people who take Levaquin or similar antibiotics to treat infections can experience:
- Aortic dissection. With this condition, the wall inside the aorta, which is the largest blood vessel in the body, can tear, causing the blood flowing from the heart to split (dissect) into two flowing streams. This dissection can cause the aorta to rupture, often with a fatal outcome. The only chance of survival is emergency heart surgery.
- Aortic aneurysm. Fluoroquinolones can damage the aorta, leading to a build-up or bubble of blood in one area. This ballooning of blood is an aneurysm that can burst, usually resulting in death. Because of the potentially life-threatening cardiac side effects, the FDA says that the benefits of these antibiotics do not justify the risks for some patients.
- Peripheral neuropathy. The antibiotics in question can cause permanent nerve damage, including weakness, debilitating pain, and the inability to perform routine functions.
- Tendon damage. Levaquin can make tendons rupture, leading to permanent physical impairment.
- Blood sugar issues. Fluoroquinolones can cause drastic drops in blood sugar. Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) can cause coma and death. People at highest risk of this complication from the antibiotics are the elderly and diabetics who take insulin or other medication to control their blood sugar levels.
- Psychiatric disturbances. The FDA warns that patients can experience psychiatric side effects from Levaquin after only one dose of the antibiotic. There is a link between Levaquin and suicide, memory impairment, disorientation, delirium, disturbances in mental abilities and attention, and other severe mental health issues.
How to Get Legal Help for an Adverse Reaction to Levaquin
If you experienced a severe side effect after taking Levaquin, you might be eligible for compensation for your losses. At Newsome | Melton, we handle cases involving significant injuries. We understand that you are struggling to deal with your new reality, and we work hard to get our clients all the damages they deserve. You can focus your attention on getting well while we take care of your legal issues. While you are unable to join a class-action lawsuit against Levaquin at this time, you may be eligible to join the ongoing multi-district litigation suit.
Our clients do not have to pay upfront legal fees to us because we take injury cases on a contingency fee basis. This arrangement means that we do not get paid until you win compensation. Our fees will come out of the settlement proceeds or court award at the end of the matter.
Defective Drugs - News Articles
Levaquin is an antibiotic that, although used for many decades, caused severe harm to many people. The drug’s historical use was to treat respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, and some skin infections. Read on for what you need to know about the Levaquin lawsuit. The Levaquin lawsuits arose because people eventually realized that the antibioticRead More