Forceps Delivery Birth Injury Lawyer
In difficult birth situations, obstetricians and other medical professionals often choose to have their patients undergo C-sections instead of using forceps to extract the baby. However, medical professionals still rely on forceps at times. Unfortunately, the improper use of this equipment carries the potential for serious injury to your baby.
If your baby suffered an injury during a forceps delivery, you could have grounds for a medical malpractice case. A forceps delivery birth injury lawyer from Newsome Melton can help you pursue it. We offer a free, no-risk case evaluation to discuss your options.
To schedule an appointment, call us today at 855-633-2757.
Why Doctors Deliver Babies Via Forceps
An obstetrician, midwife, or other medical professional might choose to deliver a baby via forceps in the following situations:
The Baby Is Not Coming Out
When it comes to making their entrance into the world, some babies are just stubborn. If the mother has pushed for several hours and the medical professional sees no sign of progress, they may intervene and use forceps to guide the baby out.
The Mother Can No Longer Push
Childbirth is exhausting. Sometimes a mother is too tired to keep pushing, in which case the obstetrician or midwife may decide to use a more aggressive method to get the baby out.
There Is a Health Concern
If the medical provider has concerns about the baby’s health and feels the baby needs to come out immediately, they might use forceps to speed up the process.
The Mom’s Health History
The obstetrician or midwife might also have concerns about the mom’s health, particularly if she has a history of cardiac events or other medical conditions. In such a situation, the medical professional might decide the process needs to happen as quickly as possible and might turn to a forceps delivery to make sure it does.
Even though an obstetrician may decide to use forceps to help protect a baby from harm during a difficult delivery, they must use the equipment correctly to avoid any potential injuries from occurring.
If You or Your Child Suffered an Injury During a Forceps Delivery, Call Newsome Melton for Help
Although forceps delivery has its place in the childbirth process, it is not without risks. Both mother and child sometimes suffer complications from forceps deliveries. Common risks to the mother include:
- Lacerations of the vagina, rectum, urethra, or bladder
- Blood loss
Possible risks to the newborn include:
- Facial injuries, including bruising or lacerations
- Facial muscle weakness
- Skull fracture
Your obstetrician or midwife has a responsibility to be aware of these risks and to take every precaution to minimize the chance of them happening. If you or your child suffered injury, it might be because your medical provider failed to uphold their duty of care. Our team at Newsome Melton will hold them accountable.
The Newsome Melton Team Can Build a Complete and Compelling Medical Malpractice Case
If you or your child suffered injuries during a forceps delivery, our birth trauma team can pursue a medical malpractice claim on your behalf. We will fight for the compensation you deserve. A winning medical malpractice case needs to make four things clear. They are as follows:
Your Medical Provider Owed You a Duty of Care
First, we must show that your obstetrician or midwife had a duty of care to you. A duty of care is a staple of any provider-patient relationship. By establishing that you were an active patient at the time of childbirth, we can prove they had a duty of care to you.
Your Doctor Violated Their Duty of Care
Second, our medical malpractice lawyers must demonstrate that your obstetrician, midwife, or another involved medical professional violated their duty of care. We can show this by hiring medical expert witnesses to review the evidence and testify on your behalf.
You or Your Child Suffered Injuries
Third, we will use a combination of evidence, including medical records and expert witness testimony, to show that you or your child suffered injuries because of your doctor’s failure.
You Incurred Economic or Noneconomic Damages
Fourth, we must list the economic and noneconomic damages you incurred because of your or your child’s injuries. We will pursue compensation for these damages.
Recoverable Damages After a Forceps Birth Injury
Several damages may be available after a forceps birth injury. They may include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages if you needed to take time off work or retire to care for your baby
- Assistive devices
- Long-term care costs
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life
Call 855-633-2757 Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation With a Forceps Delivery Birth Injury Lawyer
The Newsome Melton legal team wants to get to work on your case right away. We are committed to helping you recover the compensation you deserve. Call 855-633-2757 to schedule a free case evaluation.
Birth Injury Malpractice Lawyer
- Anoxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Asphyxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Bell’s Palsy Birth Injury Lawyer
- Birth Trauma Lawyer
- Bleeding of the Brain Birth Injury Lawyer
- Brachial Plexus Birth Injury Lawyer
- Birth Brain Injury
- Brain Ischemia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Broken Bones Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cephalohematoma Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cerebral Palsy Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cervical Dystonia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Chorioamnionitis Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cystic Fibrosis Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Epidural Birth Injury Lawyer
- Erb’s Palsy Birth Injury Lawyer
- Erb’s Palsy
- Fetal Lacerations Lawyer
- Group B Strep Infection Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Hepatitis B Virus Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Hypoxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) Birth Injury Lawyer
- Klumpke’s Palsy
- Perinatal Asphyxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN) Birth Injury Lawyer
- Placental Birth Injury Lawyer
- Rubella Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Syphilis Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Toxoplasmosis Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Urinary Tract Infection Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Wrongful Birth Lawyer