A syphilis birth injury can not only cause lifelong damage to a newborn, but it can also be life-threatening. If you had syphilis while pregnant, your obstetrician or other medical provider has a responsibility to diagnose and treat it. If your baby contracts the condition during childbirth, your medical provider must act quickly to treat it.
If your baby died or suffered harm because of a syphilis birth injury, you might qualify to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against your medical provider, his or her staff, or the medical facility where the misdiagnosis occurred. A syphilis misdiagnosis birth injury lawyer from Pintas & Mullins can help you hold the responsible party or parties accountable and collect damages.
For a free case evaluation with a member of our team, call 888-526-8947 today.
Your Medical Provider Has a Responsibility to Prevent a Syphilis Birth Injury
Your medical provider has a duty of care, which extends to his or her staff and to the medical facility where they work, to do everything possible during your pregnancy to promote a healthy childbirth. This includes recognizing risk factors for conditions such as syphilis and diagnosing them in time to administer treatment and minimize long-term damage.
To minimize the chance of a syphilis birth injury, your medical provider should administer treatment for syphilis before childbirth. If your baby contracts syphilis during childbirth, your provider must treat it promptly to minimize lasting damage.
Diagnosing the Condition
If you developed syphilis during your pregnancy, your medical provider has a duty to diagnose it correctly and promptly. By doing so, he or she could administer treatment and, ideally, could prevent the condition from spreading to your baby.
However, if your medical provider made the wrong diagnosis, or made the correct one but too late to prevent the condition from spreading to your baby, then you and your child both likely suffered severe and preventable harm. We can hold your medical provider accountable and help you collect damages.
Treating the Condition
If your baby contracted syphilis during birth, your medical provider should have diagnosed it right away and treated your child with penicillin. When a baby is born with syphilis, timely treatment impacts his or her chance of survival or long-term damage. Any delay in treatment can have disastrous consequences.
The attorneys at Pintas & Mullins can investigate your child’s syphilis birth injury, determine where your medical provider or the medical staff fell short, and gather evidence to prove our case. We can help you collect the damages you deserve. For a free case evaluation, call us at 888-526-8947 today.
The Syphilis Birth Injury Lawyers at Pintas & Mullins Help You Build a Strong Medical Malpractice Case
If your baby suffered a syphilis birth injury, the job of our attorneys here at Pintas & Mullins is to build a strong medical malpractice case on your behalf. We can show your medical provider’s misdiagnosis caused you and your child to suffer damages and then help you recover those damages.
To make the connection between your medical provider or healthcare provider’s failure and the damages you suffered, we must establish the following:
- The provider had a duty of care to you and your child.
- The provider did not uphold his or her duty of care.
- Your child suffered harm because of the provider’s failure.
- You incurred damages because of your child’s injuries.
Duty of Care
We first must show the provider had a duty of care. If the responsible party was your medical provider, a member of your medical provider’s staff, or the facility where your medical provider was employed, a duty of care is automatically implied since you were an active patient at the time of the misdiagnosis.
Failure to Uphold Duty
We then can show how the provider failed to uphold his or her duty. If his or her actions did not meet the standard one would expect of a reasonable person in the same situation, it constitutes a failure of duty, and we can link it to your child’s injuries to prove medical malpractice.
Next, we must demonstrate how your child’s birth injury occurred as a direct result of the provider’s failure of duty—the failure, in this case, being the misdiagnosis of syphilis. We can make this connection by presenting your medical records as well as expert witness testimony.
Lastly, we have to list the damages you have incurred because of your child’s injuries. These can be economic or non-economic damages.
To start the process today, call 888-526-8947 to speak with a syphilis misdiagnosis birth injury lawyer at Pintas & Mullins.
Our Attorneys Help You Recover the Full Damages You Deserve for Your Child’s Birth Injury
Count on the Pintas & Mullins team to help you recover damages for your child’s injury. You could receive compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Time away from work
- Medical care and therapy for your child
- Special schooling
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Emotional anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
Be Aware of the Statute of Limitations
Be aware every state has a statute of limitations on medical malpractice cases. In some states, it is as short as one year from the date of injury. Do not delay. Call Pintas & Mullins right away. If necessary, we may be able to file a quick lawsuit to avoid the time limit running out.
Birth Injury Malpractice Lawyer
- Anoxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Asphyxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Bell’s Palsy Birth Injury Lawyer
- Birth Trauma Lawyer
- Bleeding of the Brain Birth Injury Lawyer
- Brachial Plexus Birth Injury Lawyer
- Birth Brain Injury
- Brain Ischemia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Broken Bones Birth Injury Lawyer
- C-Section Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cephalohematoma Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cerebral Palsy Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cervical Dystonia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Chorioamnionitis Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Cystic Fibrosis Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Epidural Birth Injury Lawyer
- Erb’s Palsy Birth Injury Lawyer
- Erb’s Palsy
- Fetal Lacerations Lawyer
- Forceps Delivery Birth Injury Lawyer
- Group B Strep Infection Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Hepatitis B Virus Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Hypoxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) Birth Injury Lawyer
- Klumpke’s Palsy
- Perinatal Asphyxia Birth Injury Lawyer
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN) Birth Injury Lawyer
- Placental Birth Injury Lawyer
- Rubella Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Toxoplasmosis Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Urinary Tract Infection Misdiagnosis Birth Injury Lawyer
- Wrongful Birth Lawyer